Saturday, February 19, 2022

Inspirations From Similar Films

Now that I have the foundation of the plot, I can now gather up more ideas and ways to represent the story. I will analyze similar films that relate to my story and try to incorporate some of the ways they were able to represent their story in the opening. 


Boyhood (2014)

This film is about the life of a boy being taken care of by a single mother and the difficulties growing up. The film narrates his life as he matures. In the film, his family travels multiple times in his life, which also relates to my film where the main actor has traveled multiple times as well. The opening of the film introduces Mason looking up into the sky.

 


Opening of Boyhood

I was inspired from this film because it introduces the main character looking up at the sky as one of the first shots to convey the curiosity of a young boy. The text of Boyhood also has poor/scratchy handwriting to also represent that the film will be told through a young boy's life.  In my film, I am considering incorporating a shot of the main actor looking through the window as one of the first shots of the opening. The shot will have decreased saturation of color to represent the sad emotions of the character. Additionally, I am considering using either a bold font or a sad/teenage font for the title to represent my main character. The title will come at the end of the film.


Nomadland (2020)


     

The film is about a woman who lost everything in the Great Recession and lived in the mid-west of America as a nomad. The bold font in the film represents the serious struggle the protagonist went through from living as a nomad. The opening of the film started off with the character opening boxes to portray her life of constantly having to move as a nomad. I am considering using a bold font for the title of the opening to also represent the serious nature of the film. At the end of the opening, I am also considering using shots of the parents bringing in boxes inside the house from the car while the main actor is looking at the house. Then the shots will cut to the actor inside of his room unpacking and that is when the title of the opening will be displayed. 


Since I have a better idea of the plot and organization of the shots, I can conduct more research on the specific details that will be used in my opening. 

Sources:


No comments:

Post a Comment